What is the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL)?
In short, it is the study of the effectiveness of a particular teaching practice. SoTL is usually conducted by a faculty member specific to a course he or she teaches. SoTL employs research methods similar to those used in other disciplines including reflection, evidence-based methods, peer review, and publicly disseminated findings. These slides show some of the SoTL studies by ERAU faculty in 2014-2015.
2016-2017 RFP: SOTL Academy Letter of Intent
Why is SoTL important to ERAU?
ERAU is the recognized source of knowledge about aviation and aerospace. It should also be the recognized source of expertise on how to teach aviation and aerospace knowledge. This video illustrates how SoTL can be used to advance teaching practice.
Where is SoTL published?
The following links provide information about journals and other outlets for SoTL research:
- Journals in Higher Education (JIHE) – http://www.cideronline.org/jihe/view1.cfm
- International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL) –http://www.issotl.com/issotl15/node/21
- Journals that Publish the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning and Address General Issues in Higher Education –http://cetl.kennesaw.edu/teaching-journals-directory
- Pedagogical and Higher Education Journals – http://www.crlt.umich.edu/publinks/Journal_List.pdf
- Teaching Conferences Directory –http://cetl.kennesaw.edu/teaching-conferences-directory
If you are interested in conducting SoTL research, please contact Dr. Kathryn Cunningham, SoTL Program Coordinator.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.