Advising & Mentoring Students
In the video below, several ERAU-Daytona Beach faculty and staff share their experience and wisdom on effectively advising and mentoring students.
- Faculty advising resource links – comprehensive resources from NACADA
- Retention and academic advising self-assessment (pdf) from Noel-Levitz
- Majoring in a Professor – students often make career decisions based on individual interactions with faculty
Study skills and time management
- 10 rules of good & bad studying (pdf handout)
- Pomodoro technique – Use a timer to break tasks into manageable chunks
- How to get the most out of studying – video series
- Memo to students disappointed with their test grades (pdf)
- Transforming the lowest performing students: An intervention that worked (pdf)
- The growth mindset vs. a fixed mindset
Potential advising initiatives
- Surveying students about advising (pdf)
- Creating a handbook of teaching & advising – here is Georgia Tech’s handbook of teaching, for example.
- Creating an advising syllabus – contact Evan Blass in the College of Business to see the one she created
- Advisor training & development
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.